Fly Fishing Rules and Registration
River Parcel and Pond Registration
Cordillera owns a 1.3-mile stretch of private river heaven. This gives Cordillera property owners year-round, world-class fishing. Vail Valley Anglers (VVA) manages Cordillera’s fishing program and provides the community with experienced and knowledgeable fly fishing guides, educational programs and discounts on equipment and merchandise. Before departure for a river outing, VVA will deliver property owners passes. Property owners are also welcome to visit the VVA shop in the Riverwalk in Edwards to check out rental equipment and find out what flies are working best.
Rules and Regulations
Cordillera River/Pond Regulations All fishing is catch-and-release with flies and single, barbless hooks only.
- No bait fishing is permitted on the ponds or river.
- A valid State of Colorado Fishing License is required to fish the river.
- VVA will manage river beats and ponds based on water temperature, water flow and fish health on a daily basis throughout the year.
- A one-time, fee-based orientation class is required for river fly fishing.
- Reservations are required for river beats and can be made through VVA.
- No more than two anglers are permitted in each river beat (one of whom must be a current fly fishing pass holder).
- Ponds remain open during day-light hours as long as there is no ice. Please respect the neighboring properties while fishing ponds.
- A fly fishing pass holder can book only one beat per day.
- Reservations are not required for fishing at the ponds.
- Anchoring while floating is prohibited on CMD property.
Reservations: CMD-approved anglers are required to book reservations in advance with VVA. Please call 970-926-0900, stop by the shop or book online.
*Only one beat can be booked per day, up to 10 days prior to excursion.
*No more than three reservations per week (Sunday-Saturday) may be made by each pass holder.
Note: Willful disregard of the River and Pond Rules and Regulations will result in restriction and possible suspension of fishing rights. These rules and regulations originate from the Cordillera Metro District. Vail Valley Anglers has been contracted to enforce these rules and does not hold any opinion as to the relevance or application of the above rules.
- Fishing is free to property owners and their family members (who have completed the one-time fee-based orientation).
- A $150 fee for up to two people is required for a one-time orientation with a VVA guide. Please call VVA to schedule the orientation.
- Club at Cordillera members, who are not Cordillera property owners, must pay an annual $750 fee to access the Cordillera River Parcel. Checks should be made out to Cordillera Metropolitan District. They must also complete the one-time orientation with VVA.
- The fee for current Fly Fishing pass holders (up to two people) is $250.
- This includes approximately 3.5 hours of instruction and rod, reel, waders, boots, terminal tackle, flies and drinking water.
- VVA is the only guide service allowed to operate on the private river parcel and ponds.
A one-time $150 fee-based orientation with a VVA guide must be completed before an angler can fish the CMD-owned river stretch on his/her own. The orientation is to learn safety, rules and regulations and proper fish-handling techniques. Family members over the age of 18 wanting to fish the CMD-owned river stretch on their own are also required to complete the one-time fee-based orientation with a guide. Family members include: spouses, children, step children, grandchildren, step grandchildren, parents and stepparents.